Monday, August 24, 2009

My Kindergartener



I can't believe this day has come! My first born is now in school!!! I was nervous going into this day because I wasn't sure how I would be, emotionally. I've never really been that "emotional parent" so I didn't think I would be affected too much. I was partially correct!

Our morning started early - 6:15am. When I woke Isaiah up he said, "Why is it still dark if it's time for me to wake up?" Good question! Bryan stayed home this morning so that he could see Isaiah off and allow Sam to sleep in one more day. From now on, Sam will be along for the ride as we take Isaiah to school. So, Isaiah and I had a nice breakfast and then we got him dressed for school. He has a dress code at his new school so it's not going to be difficult to get him ready! He decided he would wear his red polo shirt, tan shorts, and belt. We left our house at 7:00am and arrived at the school at 7:35am. He has to be IN HIS CLASS by 7:50am or he will be tardy. We had to take all of his school supplies with us this morning too. Isaiah's teacher, Mrs. Beane, allowed Isaiah and I to go on into the room and drop off his supplies. I was able to capture this picture while no one else was in the room...


We then had to return to the commons area and that is when I got a little teary-eyed. The commons area was sectioned off and labeled by grades. The students were asked to sit in their designated areas until it was time to go to their classes. Isaiah sat down in the midst of all these other kids that he didn't know. He wasn't sad, but I could tell he was overwhelmed. I motioned for him to go sit by one of his little friends from Mother's Day Out but he just shook his head "no." I just watched him and began to think how small he looked among all these kids. When it's just he and Sam, Isaiah seems so much bigger. But, when he's among kids his own age and older, I'm reminded just how small he still is. Soon, another one of his friends from MDO came in and the three of them eventually ended up sitting and chatting a bit. Ironically, these other two kids he knows are both in the same Kindergarten class but NOT in Isaiah's class! I was worried about this too. Isaiah wasn't too worried about it though. He told me, "I'll just have to make some new friends!" I know he will. So, when it was time to go to class, I was able to walk him back. I snapped this pic just before saying good-bye (for good this time)...


Oh, I did NOT want to leave! But, I quietly slipped out and tried not to think about him in a new school, all alone, with a bunch of people he has never met before! It was definitely more difficult than I thought it would be. I managed to hold back the tears but that doesn't mean I didn't want too!

Fast forward 7 hours (and a few minutes) later...

Daddy, Sam and I all went to pick up Isaiah on his first day of school. We waited in the pick-up line until his class came out. He was adorable walking out in their little single file line with his backpack. He spotted us immediately and waved. One of the teachers walked him to the car and helped him inside. He was grinning from ear to ear. I asked how his first day went and he responded, "It was awesome, Mom!" YES! He went on to tell about all they did and the new friends he had already made. I think this is going to be a great first school year for my little man!

3 comments:

  1. Aw...he's such a cutie! :) Today was my first day of college, so, I think he did a lot better than me. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom took pictures of us on every single "first day of school" until we graduated high school. When we became teenagers it was super embarrassing...but now I'm glad she did it! I'd like to get my hands on those pictures now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. Thanks for the wonderful commentary. Hard to believe he is already in school! It doesn't seem that long ago he was born. He looked quite handsome on his fist day of school!

    ReplyDelete