Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Patience...

Waiting has never been easy for me. And, now that I'm 9 months pregnant it's even harder. However, something happened almost a week ago that put things in perspective for me. We have some friends who were pregnant with their first kiddos - twins. Last Thursday, at 29 weeks pregnant, the mother gave birth to these babies. The girl weighed 1 lb. 12 oz. and the boy weighed 1 lb. 10 oz. They are in NICU at a local hospital and are doing very well considering their premature births. Bryan and I were able to go into the NICU (with the parents) to see the twins. They are SO tiny. Their feet are approximately the size of the tip of your thumb, and your hand would almost cover their entire body if placed over them! As I stood there looking at them, I thought how amazing the technology is that is helping them survive at this early of stage in their lives. What I was more amazed by is the fact that all this technology needed outside the womb is provided naturally inside the womb by the mother. Equally amazing is the amount of growth that happens inside the womb from 29 to 39/40 weeks of pregnancy. At 29 weeks, these babies weighed in at just over 1 lb. At 39 weeks a normal baby weighs 7 lbs or more (more in the case of my two) - only a 10 week span. What a miracle pregnancy truly is!

So, when I am feeling like I can't wait another day for the arrival of my little girl and how big I feel or tired of being pregnant I am , I am reminded of how fortunate I am to still be carrying her and providing for her inside of me! I am happy to wait the 13 days (or less) I have left in my pregnancy to welcome a healthy baby girl into the world!!!

In case you're wondering, the twins prognosis is good. They will have set backs and advances in the days to come, but we are all very hopeful for a wonderful life for them and their sweet parents. Please keep them in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment